Jane's Life o' Randomness

All you ever wanted to know about the little happenings in my life...and quite possibly more than that.

Friday, May 30, 2003

to update from last time...I finished my paper. It was ok, not spectacular in the least, but done. I ended up with about 16 pages, which was fewer than I was supposed to have, but I can only hope that my professor just gives me a decent grade. He did, after all, say that length would not be a determining factor. : ) So that was last Wednesday...when I went to drop off my paper I picked up Unos pizza for American Idol watching with Karilyn (Dartmouth friend). Both Ruben and Clay were pretty good. I had kind of thought that Clay would end up the winner, but apparently it was just Ruben all along!

Friday I flew to Denver and met up with my mom and her cousin. My mom's cousin's daughter (so my second cousin) was graduating from nursing school, so I went to see her and her family (she's married with two kids). I hadn't seen them in a while, so it was great to get to hang out with them, and also I had never been to Denver or Colorado. It was just a nice visit. I went to the graduation ceremony on Friday, and it was kind of long, but the weather was pretty decent, so it was at least a pleasant time. Also, I was sitting next to Kate's (my cousin) best friend, and we kept up a bit of running commentary during the ceremony to amuse ourselves. Oddly enough, a girl two rows in front of me was wearing the exact same dress - wouldn't be so odd except that it's from H&M and I bought it in NYC. oh well! Going to a graduation again was kind of cool, since it reminded me of my own and all. Most of my cousin's fellow graduates were in the 22 year old range, and my goodness did they look young! So, Friday evening my cousin and her husband took all the family and some of their friends out to dinner at this fancy restaurant and we all ate WAY too much. I defintely ate about 3 days worth of food right there! Saturday we did a little shopping and then met my cousin and her friend at a historic hotel in downtown Denver for a tour of the hotel and "high tea." It was a very elegant hotel, and the tea was lovely. We had all kinds of little sandwiches and dessert cakes. That night my mom and I hung out with my cousin and her family and watched The Majestic on cable. Ok, it wasn't as bad as I had expected, but I was definitely disappointed by the ending. Just once, a break from formula would be appreciated. This is why I have to go see A Mighty Wind. Someday, someday. =) Sunday my mom and I went to a Colorado Rockies game at Coors Field, which they won 5-1. We went to dinner at PF Changs (yum!! my mom's birthday dinner for me) and then back to my cousin's house that night to stay overnight before heading to the Rockies. Monday my mom and I drove to Georgetown (an old siver mining town) and took this interesting train (called the Georgetown Loop - it's an engineering thing, and I think you can look it up if you're interested in exactly what it is) at one end of the town that takes you to another old silver mining town. Then we drove to Breckenridge to look around. It was a very cute town - apparently it's a lot like Aspen but less expensive and pretentious. The altitude (over 11,000 feet) started to get to us, so we went back to our hotel and took a break in the hot tub and watched, um, Honey I Shrunk the Kids. hee! some movies just never get old (sort of. ;) Tuesday had to go back to Boston. yay...and the rest of this week just been working and stuff.

My birthday was Wednesday, but I didn't really do much because I had some work to catch up on after being gone. Tomorrow night Jose, some friends and I are going out to dinner (PF Changs again! ;) for my birthday.

As I wrote before, I was supposed to meet with my boss about grad school today, but it didn't happen - he just sort of took off mid-afternoon, and that was that! o-kay...but I am going to go talk to two of the professors in the program tomorrow morning (so I have to finish this up soon so I can go to bed...) and I hope they think that it's a good fit for me. My application is actually mostly complete - all I have to do is write my personal statement, get my references forwarded from Dartmouth, and send in my transcripts. easy, right? ;) well, we'll see. so, enough about me...but other topics will have to wait until another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home