Study Break!
I have my environmental engineering final tomorrow, and I thought I'd take a little study break and do an update. I keep thinking it can't be that long since I last posted, but everything always seems to move too fast for my blog to keep up. :) Especially since my last post. Since then, I've:
1) decided to move
2) made vacation plans with my parents
and (best for last)
3) started dating a really great guy.
Everything always happens in threes anyways, right??
The Moving Part
My roommate and I got our new lease for next year, and were most displeased. Our whole complex was sold to a gigantic corporation about a year ago, and had previously been owned by a local family. Last year they didn't jack up the rent a whole lot, at least it wasn't much more than the year before. This year we got the lease and it had gone up $150. Um, yeah. I had preliminarily decided that I wasn't up for moving, but that changed my mind pretty quickly.
My friend Amanda had mentioned that she would be up for me moving in with her, because she had a space in her apartment. I ended up talking to her about it over dinner, and we discussed all the arrangements. I think it's going to be so much fun. We hang out all the time anyways, so it'll simplify that. :) She has a nice, big apartment, and it's in Somerville, so I'll be closer to school and within walking distance to the T and lots of other things. Oh, and it has about 3 TIMES as much closet space as I currently have. I'm a sucker for closet space. Especially around here, it seems in very short supply.
If the new management didn't suck so much, I might not have wanted to go through all of the stress of moving, but as it was they're just being downright mean. The apartment is clearly not worth $150 more than what we're paying now, when both of us found nicer places closer to the city for less or about the same as we would be paying with the new lease. No one who works there seems to have a sympathetic bone in their body. I understand that it's a business, but considering that the previous owners seemed to run things slightly differently, it's not exactly a requirement that just because it's a corporation that it be heartless and soulless. Gah. Now I'm just glad I'm leaving.
Vacay!
My parents and I finalized our plans for a little bit of a summer vacation. Last year they came for a week, and one of the places we went was Cape Cod. Apparently they were fairly entranced by the whole Cape mystique, wherein people rent itsy-bitsy cottages on the sea for a week and do the whole summer rental thing. It's quite a phenomenon around here. :) So we're renting a condo on the beach for week at the end of June. Lucky for me, their visit just happens to coincide with my move date, so I'll have a little help with that. :) It should be really fun. My friend Lisa (from Fremd) is going to be at Woods Hole for the summer doing physics-related studying things, so I'm hoping she'll be able to come and hang out for a bit.
My Date
So...my match.com subscription expired sometime late in March. I had toyed with renewing it, but I wasn't finding it to be worth the money, so I decided to drop it. Allison and I were still going back and forth looking at guys, though, because, of course, there's no charge to look, and you can always "wink" at people. (Sort of like a "hey, you sound cool" sort of thing.) Anyways, I "winked" at a bunch of various guys, and I got an email from one of them, a guy named Jens. He seemed nice (and cute) enough, so I wrote back, and then we traded emails a few times over the next couple weeks. It was fun, but after a while I was like, "suggest we meet already!" And then he did. So I called him that same night, and we had a good conversation, and decided to meet for dinner on the next Saturday. We went to an Indian restaurant in Davis Square, and had a nice time. For some reason the interaction came pretty naturally, and we ended up talking about a lot of different things. At the end of the night, he said we should go out again, and then, as if wonders will never cease, he called the very next evening. Ye Gods! And we decided to go out the following Thursday. So then we did, and we had a great time again! I wasn't really expecting him to call or anything, because I had sort of said, how about next Thursday, but then he called on Saturday to wish me luck at orchestra rehearsal, and asked if I wanted to get together before Thursday. So we went out Sunday to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And it was fun. He gave me a flower! And we're going out tomorrow night, ostenibly to celebrate me being done with classes. :)
I like him quite a bit. He's really sweet, he's intelligent, he listens to my (more often than not) silly stories, and he's interesting in his own right. Plus he's entirely adorable. mmm. Well, watch this space for updates. I can only hope they'll be positive ones!
What else I've been up to
1) went to Celtics playoff game. they lost, which was not suprising given that the only reason they made it in in the first place is because they play in the East. (then again, the Bulls didn't even come close to making it in. *sigh*)
2) finished classes etc. (except for the aforementioned final tomorrow) I did my second exam for my water resources management class, and it was really interesting, because the waterbody I was writing about had all kinds of neat management techniques that had been used by the town and state to protect it (it's drinking water, so it's a pretty high priority). I also went on a field trip for that class, which consisted of clambering (not enough clambering in life, that's for sure) around on the waterfront in Manchester-by-the-sea (gorgeous town) on the north shore of Boston looking for pipe outflows. I got a bit sunburned, but it was an enjoyable afternoon.
3) saw 13 Going on 30 and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both were quite good. 13 would just not have worked with any other actress other than Garner. She was so perfect. By coincidence, Mark Ruffalo was in both movies. I hope I get to see more of him, because he's an interesting actor. Understated, but a natural. David Cross was in Sunshine, and it was a hoot to see him after watching him on Arrested Development all season. 13 was highly enjoyable, and the ending was pretty satisfactory. Sunshine was much like other Charlie Kaufman movies, but probably more accessible than Being John Malkovich or Adaptation. This one wasn't quite as far out as those, so you never got confused so much about who was where doing what.
4) tennis with Jon. hadn't played tennis in ages, and Jon said he hadn't either, but he still beat me 6-0 6-1! We have a standing rematch for Saturdays for the whole summer. Maybe by the end of that I'll be able to beat him for more than one game...
5) My orchestra had a concert last weekend, which was great fun. Our solo contest winners were incredible. The oboeist is only a freshman in high school. So I can only imagine what he'll be like in a few years. My stand partner says he's pretty much a lock for Juillard. Scary. Anyways, we also played the William Tell Overture, which was my favorite piece of the afternoon. It's such an active piece, and the cellos have a great solo part at the beginning. :)
Random things that I was happy about...
They filled in the potholes that littered the road that I drive almost every day. Finally.
And, oh yeah, it's finally spring! Amazing...I think I noticed the biggest difference when I got back from Phoenix. Every year I somewhat doubt that the warm weather will actually show up, and then we get some (or, in this case, a record breaking month's worth for April) rain and then a few days of 70+ temps, and boombadabing, it's an explosion of green! Love it. :)
I have my environmental engineering final tomorrow, and I thought I'd take a little study break and do an update. I keep thinking it can't be that long since I last posted, but everything always seems to move too fast for my blog to keep up. :) Especially since my last post. Since then, I've:
1) decided to move
2) made vacation plans with my parents
and (best for last)
3) started dating a really great guy.
Everything always happens in threes anyways, right??
The Moving Part
My roommate and I got our new lease for next year, and were most displeased. Our whole complex was sold to a gigantic corporation about a year ago, and had previously been owned by a local family. Last year they didn't jack up the rent a whole lot, at least it wasn't much more than the year before. This year we got the lease and it had gone up $150. Um, yeah. I had preliminarily decided that I wasn't up for moving, but that changed my mind pretty quickly.
My friend Amanda had mentioned that she would be up for me moving in with her, because she had a space in her apartment. I ended up talking to her about it over dinner, and we discussed all the arrangements. I think it's going to be so much fun. We hang out all the time anyways, so it'll simplify that. :) She has a nice, big apartment, and it's in Somerville, so I'll be closer to school and within walking distance to the T and lots of other things. Oh, and it has about 3 TIMES as much closet space as I currently have. I'm a sucker for closet space. Especially around here, it seems in very short supply.
If the new management didn't suck so much, I might not have wanted to go through all of the stress of moving, but as it was they're just being downright mean. The apartment is clearly not worth $150 more than what we're paying now, when both of us found nicer places closer to the city for less or about the same as we would be paying with the new lease. No one who works there seems to have a sympathetic bone in their body. I understand that it's a business, but considering that the previous owners seemed to run things slightly differently, it's not exactly a requirement that just because it's a corporation that it be heartless and soulless. Gah. Now I'm just glad I'm leaving.
Vacay!
My parents and I finalized our plans for a little bit of a summer vacation. Last year they came for a week, and one of the places we went was Cape Cod. Apparently they were fairly entranced by the whole Cape mystique, wherein people rent itsy-bitsy cottages on the sea for a week and do the whole summer rental thing. It's quite a phenomenon around here. :) So we're renting a condo on the beach for week at the end of June. Lucky for me, their visit just happens to coincide with my move date, so I'll have a little help with that. :) It should be really fun. My friend Lisa (from Fremd) is going to be at Woods Hole for the summer doing physics-related studying things, so I'm hoping she'll be able to come and hang out for a bit.
My Date
So...my match.com subscription expired sometime late in March. I had toyed with renewing it, but I wasn't finding it to be worth the money, so I decided to drop it. Allison and I were still going back and forth looking at guys, though, because, of course, there's no charge to look, and you can always "wink" at people. (Sort of like a "hey, you sound cool" sort of thing.) Anyways, I "winked" at a bunch of various guys, and I got an email from one of them, a guy named Jens. He seemed nice (and cute) enough, so I wrote back, and then we traded emails a few times over the next couple weeks. It was fun, but after a while I was like, "suggest we meet already!" And then he did. So I called him that same night, and we had a good conversation, and decided to meet for dinner on the next Saturday. We went to an Indian restaurant in Davis Square, and had a nice time. For some reason the interaction came pretty naturally, and we ended up talking about a lot of different things. At the end of the night, he said we should go out again, and then, as if wonders will never cease, he called the very next evening. Ye Gods! And we decided to go out the following Thursday. So then we did, and we had a great time again! I wasn't really expecting him to call or anything, because I had sort of said, how about next Thursday, but then he called on Saturday to wish me luck at orchestra rehearsal, and asked if I wanted to get together before Thursday. So we went out Sunday to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And it was fun. He gave me a flower! And we're going out tomorrow night, ostenibly to celebrate me being done with classes. :)
I like him quite a bit. He's really sweet, he's intelligent, he listens to my (more often than not) silly stories, and he's interesting in his own right. Plus he's entirely adorable. mmm. Well, watch this space for updates. I can only hope they'll be positive ones!
What else I've been up to
1) went to Celtics playoff game. they lost, which was not suprising given that the only reason they made it in in the first place is because they play in the East. (then again, the Bulls didn't even come close to making it in. *sigh*)
2) finished classes etc. (except for the aforementioned final tomorrow) I did my second exam for my water resources management class, and it was really interesting, because the waterbody I was writing about had all kinds of neat management techniques that had been used by the town and state to protect it (it's drinking water, so it's a pretty high priority). I also went on a field trip for that class, which consisted of clambering (not enough clambering in life, that's for sure) around on the waterfront in Manchester-by-the-sea (gorgeous town) on the north shore of Boston looking for pipe outflows. I got a bit sunburned, but it was an enjoyable afternoon.
3) saw 13 Going on 30 and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both were quite good. 13 would just not have worked with any other actress other than Garner. She was so perfect. By coincidence, Mark Ruffalo was in both movies. I hope I get to see more of him, because he's an interesting actor. Understated, but a natural. David Cross was in Sunshine, and it was a hoot to see him after watching him on Arrested Development all season. 13 was highly enjoyable, and the ending was pretty satisfactory. Sunshine was much like other Charlie Kaufman movies, but probably more accessible than Being John Malkovich or Adaptation. This one wasn't quite as far out as those, so you never got confused so much about who was where doing what.
4) tennis with Jon. hadn't played tennis in ages, and Jon said he hadn't either, but he still beat me 6-0 6-1! We have a standing rematch for Saturdays for the whole summer. Maybe by the end of that I'll be able to beat him for more than one game...
5) My orchestra had a concert last weekend, which was great fun. Our solo contest winners were incredible. The oboeist is only a freshman in high school. So I can only imagine what he'll be like in a few years. My stand partner says he's pretty much a lock for Juillard. Scary. Anyways, we also played the William Tell Overture, which was my favorite piece of the afternoon. It's such an active piece, and the cellos have a great solo part at the beginning. :)
Random things that I was happy about...
They filled in the potholes that littered the road that I drive almost every day. Finally.
And, oh yeah, it's finally spring! Amazing...I think I noticed the biggest difference when I got back from Phoenix. Every year I somewhat doubt that the warm weather will actually show up, and then we get some (or, in this case, a record breaking month's worth for April) rain and then a few days of 70+ temps, and boombadabing, it's an explosion of green! Love it. :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home