Jane's Life o' Randomness

All you ever wanted to know about the little happenings in my life...and quite possibly more than that.

Thursday, July 31, 2003

The Latest and Greatest

I got into grad school!

Last Tuesday, I got my large envelope in the mail from Tufts, and, as usual when I am excited, I jumped up and down all the way back into my apartment. :) I had been waiting for that for a while, and it was almost more of a relief to learn that I had gotten in, because if I didn't, I didn't have any other options for fall. So now I'm set! I'm not sure what classes I'm going to be taking yet, but I probably have to take some undergrad engines classes first because I don't have any previous engineering background, just lots of science. :)

Other goings on...

So, when we last caught up, it was the day before my "date" with Chris, which, although I had no idea, turned out to be sort of a group date more than anything. Basically, the Friday before last, I played softball and then ran home to change and drive to the bar to meet Chris. He showed up a minute after me, and he said that some other people from work were coming (one of whom I knew, since I've met a ton of Karilyn's coworkers). So we got the first round (he paid...aw) and were talking and it was fun, and then the other coworkers showed up. They were fun, but I ended up spending most of the night talking to this friend of Debbie's that came along. Debbie and I sat at the bar and the guys were sort of in a semicircle, and Chris was opposite me, so I didn't get much of a chance to talk to him. but it was nice. He emailed last Friday and said thanks for coming out and maybe we'll get to hang out again sometime. eee! that was nice. I'm not over the moon for him, but I think it would be fun to hang out with him again. :)

Saturday I was a leetle hung over from Friday night, so I didn't move off the couch for most of the earlier part of the day. I used that time to watch The Mists of Avalon, with the always-lovely Michael Vartan playing Lancelot...mmm...Lancelot. so yummy. then I finally felt normal, so I cleaned my room top to bottom in preparation for my parents visit this past week. it was sorely overdue! it all looks so much better too. That night I went to a party at Jose's, which, as always, was very enjoyable. I talked to his boyfriend Steve for some time, since Steve is also a college hockey freak like I am (at one point we were trying to remember all of the teams in Hockey East - that was fun! ;) and I got to see some other Dartmouth people I hadn't seen in a while. Sunday the weather was amazing - I went to brunch with Jose, Jessica, Joanna, and Joanna's brothers (we're the J Crew...haha). and then I went to the museum, did a little shopping (bought some shoes on clearance...can't have enough shoes... ;) and then went to a baseball game north of Boston for the paper I write for. I ran into traffic on the way home, so I didn't get the article finished until 1:30. blah!

Monday I had orchestra rehersal, then I went home and finished cleaning stuff up in preparation for my mom's arrival on Tuesday. My mom got in ok, and then I met her at my place after work. I was supposed to have my orchestra concert, but it got cancelled! I was so annoyed that I didn't get to play Phantom. :( So, that night we went out to dinner and rented a bunch of movies. We watched Monsters Inc first - again with the Pixar adoration!! They are just incredible. The other day Finding Nemo just surpassed The Lion King as the highest-grossing animated film ever. Just goes to show that when you make a quality movie, people will go, and in droves. Wednesday my mom met up with her friend, so I went to the gym, and when my mom got back, we watched the Norweigan comedy Elling. Mostly it was a lot like other European comedies - subtle and understated, something Hollywood will never, ever understand. Thursday I again met my mom after work and we went to Not Your Average Joe's, my roommate Kris' and my favorite restaurant. yum! Thursday night my dad came into town, and he and my mom spent Friday in NH. They met me after work and came to my Dartmouth softball game, which we won 13-12, despite grievous injuries to two of our stalwart players. They are truly troopers! One guy even had a broken fibula! Crazy. My parents and I went to dinner at John Harvard's - another good meal! :) Saturday we attempted to get out of town at a decent hour to go to the Cape. But there was a pretty horrific accident on one of the main roads to get there, and it happened at 6 in the morning (some drunk kid rear-ended a state trooper while going almost 100 mph...grr.) so traffic was a total mess the whole day. It ended up taking us almost 5 hours just to get on the Cape! Then we drove around and went to the Sandwich glass museum, which was a totally awesome museum. They made some really pretty glass, and I had never seen anything that talked about how glass is made, whether hand-made or by press. it was just cool. There were so many different kinds of glass. I bought a ring and some earrings as little mementos. Then we drove around the Cape a bit, and I saw some towns I hadn't been through before. We had a really nice dinner out on the deck of a restaurant in Hyannis (I had the shrimp scampi) that included excellent Key Lime Pie. hmm...wish I could have that recipe! We had a little breakfast in Hyannis on Sunday and then drove back to Boston (with a few thousand oher people) to go to the Museum of Science. For dinner we went to Bertuccis. another yum! I don't think I've had such a good week for food in a long time. :) Monday was their last day in town, so they stopped by work to check out the "new" (to them) office. They also got to meet JoAnne and George, two of my bosses, which was really nice.

Recent events

Week has been pretty uneventful. After my parents left on Monday, settled back into same ol' work, sometimes gym, etc. routine. Monday I was at work late (a recurring theme this week - I haven't left one night before 7 or 8) because I stopped to get my car inspected (it's a yearly thing, and mine expires the end of July) and I didn't have a copy of my new registration, so I had to make an impromptu visit to the RMV and for the privilige pay them $15 just to get a new copy of my stinkin' registration. So that I could go to the inspection station on Tuesday morning and pay them another $29 to tell me that my car works ok. thanks there, State of Massachusetts!! I hope that my $44 comes in handy closing the budget gap! Not to mention the $90 I gave them last week to get my MA license. sheesh. although I got it in the mail, and it is really nice. At least now I can buy liquor at any place (they sometimes refuse to sell to out-of-state IDs!!!) and it won't take bouncers five minutes to find my birthdate on my license. Small favors, really. ;) Yesterday and today just work and gym, work and gym. Today I swam a mile! That was cool. I bought goggles and a cap a while ago and I also switched bathing suits. It was so, so much easier swimming without my hair in my face, chlorine in my eyes, and my straps falling off my shoulders! :)

Coming Attractions

the week is more than half over! yay! Friday I am hoping to go see Macbeth on the Boston Common, but it might rain, so then I wouldn't go. But if it rains, Jose and I are going to meet up for dinner and maybe he will come over and watch the new shows on Bravo (the ones with the gay men...they are so fun!!). Saturday I am going to try and go for a bike ride if the weather is ok, and Sunday I'm going to the museum and I'm going to a talk by a woman at MIT that works on water filtration in developing nations. hey, that's my job!! ;) well, someday. after I go to Columbia (the University, not the country). but first, Tufts! :) yayayayayay! grad school here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home